Thursday, August 20, 2009

1 Fish, 2 Fish, We Caught a Catfish

Emily and Allie have loved going fishing this summer. We have enjoyed many afternoons together as a family sitting around the city pond seeing what we could catch. The last 2 times we have gone we have tried our hand at catching catfish. Our bait of choice: Hot dogs. I think catfish will eat just about anything but the hot dogs seem to do the trick.

It was quite chilly the first time we went but that didn't stop us. The girls are enjoying their lunch as we wait for the fish to bite. Josh is enjoying his nap.

We had our fishing poles propped up on Y shaped sticks so we didn't have to hold them the whole time. We placed bobbers on our lines so we knew when we had a bite. Tyler and I had our poles both propped up on the same stick. Tyler's line tightened and his bobber went up, he had a bite! Then all of a sudden the stick fell over and both our poles took off straight into the pond. Tyler went in after them about 10 feet then he realized he had his phone in his pants pocket and stopped. Somehow I managed to grab my pole. Somehow Tyler's pole got caught in my line and we were able to get his pole back to shore with my pole and then we managed to bring the fish in.
Emily was the one to reeled the fish in. He was quite the fighter.
Josh wanted to get in on the action too. He helped me hold the pole as Tyler got the fish off the line. Emily took this picture.
Apparently, this fish has given a couple other people quite a fight too. He had 2 other hooks in him besides ours. Some other kids around the pond came to watch as Tyler tried to get the hook out. They weren't the biggest fans.

We went out again yesterday and Emily caught a catfish on her little pole that Grandpa and Grandma Conlin gave her. She was so excited. She then proceeded to tell Tyler that she was a better fisher than he was.

5 comments:

The Curtis Family said...

What a fun fishing story. I'm glad you got your poles back.

Keely said...

Dang she is definately a better fisher than I am!

Megan said...

SO I have no idea how this happened, but I have missed your posts for the last month! I looked at your blog today and realized I have missed so much! Josh is so adorable - crazy how time has flown and that he is already 5 weeks! He is so cute and I am glad that his blessing day went well - he sure looks handsome in his little outfit!

Jenny said...

So fun! You are sure ambitious! We miss you at work!

Roscoe and Daisy said...

You do have little fisher girls! That's awesome that you do all sorts of activites with them. My boys would like to go fishing more but Kameron isn't a huge fan of it- maybe I'll send them with you next time you go! :)