Thursday, February 19, 2009

Bandanna + Lace= New Skirt

Let me just start by saying that I am no Martha Stewart. I do pretty well when it comes to cooking and baking but when it comes to crafty stuff and sewing I'm not too talented. Everything I know about sewing I learned in 8th grade Home-Ec. I can't even sew in a straight line. That being said, I saw this cute bandanna skirt idea for my girls here. It looked simple enough so I thought I would give it a try.
Here's how they turned out.

Emily and Allie dancing a jig.

I have to say it was super easy to make these and they only cost about $3 each. I used some lace on the bottom instead of material. It took me about an hour to make both of them. I'm sure
if you are an expert seamstress it wouldn't even take that long.
I still was unable to sew in a straight line but my girls love the skirts anyway. That is the only thing that matters to me.

17 comments:

Samantha said...

Oo I like them! They're way cute, Amber! Good job! I like the lace idea -- much cuter than the all-fabric ones I've seen!!

Nichole said...

Way cute! Someday you can teach me how to sew.

Megan said...

Those turned out way cute - I am impressed. I love that Emily looks like she is doing a courtsey in the second to last picture - what a character. My mom is amazing with the sewing machine - how I got absolutely no talent from her, I am still not quite sure....

Keely said...

You make me sick. Saying you can't sew and then make something like this. If I attempted this not even a rat would want to wear what I created. Oh but they are really cute!

Zanny said...

Aaaaahhhh! Those pictures are so cute! I'm always a sucker for the ankles crossed in the air pose. I have Summer do it all the time. Great job on the skirts!

Erin H said...

Very Nice! Impressive! I should go brush the dust off my sewing machine :)

kacie said...

So cute!! Love them.

Anonymous said...

How cute! I love the skirts! I wish my " I can't sew" looked as good as yours:)

holli green said...

Wow I am impressed!! Those are darling!

Jenny said...

So cute! I like those! I may just have to try one....

Roscoe and Daisy said...

Holy cow Amber way cute- did you take those pictures or did you go somewhere? What a cute idea and looks like the girls love them!!!!

Amy said...

So cute, if I ever have a girl I'll for sure have you make me one!!!

The knights are in said...

Way cute Amber. Great job on the dresses and what perfect little models you have to show the skirts off on.

Amanda said...

Oh I'm totally calling you Martha from now on. Doin' it!
Good job chicka!

sandyseabunz said...

???Are you sure you did not sneak down and have your mom sew them?? HAHAHA I am very impressed, they are adorable and those cute girls are great models. Love the rat comment Keely. LOL
LYRO

Anonymous said...

How cool are you! I think they turned out so cute! I love them!

ashley said...

WOW! I didn't know you even knew how to sew. I'm so totally impressed. And a little jealous. I've always wanted to be able to sew so I could make cute stuff like that. And I am cracking up at Emily's garbage lunch story! How funny!