Friday, May 6, 2011

Maya Conlin

MAY 4, 2011
I woke up today knowing that today was the day our little Maya would be entering the world (well, I really hoped it was the day). I had a doctors appointment in the morning and was hoping I was dilated far enough for Machel to send me to the hospital. May 5 is my sister's and father-in-law's birthday so I didn't want Maya being born on that day and then May 6 my midwife's daughter was getting married so today had to be the day! Fingers crossed. I had been going in every day for the last 1.5 weeks because I don't feel many contractions but when my body decides it is time things seem to go very quickly, and I don't want to be stuck and home delivering my own child. Well, today when I went in I was dilated to a 4-5 but not actively contracting.  Machel told me to go home and walk around the block and then come back. Well, I went on a quick walk with the kids but Tyler was out working so I put Joshua down for a nap and got things ready. Mostly I just sat back and relaxed. Tyler got home a couple hours later so I left the kids with him and headed back to the doctors. This time she put me on the monitor and I was contracting a little bit more and I was a 5. So she sent me up to the hospital. My sister Heidi went over our house to watch the kids and Tyler headed up to the hospital to meet me.

In knew it was busy up at the hospital and so I was going to have to dilated on my own so they would admit me. So I parked my car on the very back row in the parking lot and walked up and down every row very quickly. Then I ran up all 4 flights of stairs to labor and delivery. I got checked in, they took my medical history and vital signs. The nurse was a little concerned when my heart rate was 110. I told her not to worry, I had just ran up 4 flights of stairs. She laughed. She then checked me and I was dilated to a 6. Wahoo! I was staying.  She called Machel and Machel said she was headed up to break my water. I was checked into my room at 5:40 pm.

5:47 pm- Machel broke my water. Maya was still pretty high up in my uterus and needed to drop down so we figured it was going to take a little while. I was a little bit uncomfortable but not too bad. I laid there and talked with my friend Carie, who had just gotten off work and stopped by to see how I was. Tyler was watching videos on his phone trying to get himself ready for the adventure that we were about the embark on.

6:29 pm- Dilated to an 8+Maya still up pretty high. Not too much pain YET!
6:43 pm- Dilated to a 9, baby finally decided to drop down lower. Now I am uncomfortable and remember what pain really feels like.
6:57 pm- Completely dilated and getting set up for delivery
7:03 pm- Maya was born. The cord was wrapped around her little neck very tightly so the poor little thing came out with a super purple head and face.  She weighed 6 lb 15 oz and was 19.5 inches long.
They placed Maya on my chest right after she was born. Then I cut the cord (Tyler cut Emily's cord and that was enough for him). This is when I asked if we could go home yet. They wouldn't let us. Darn.
6lbs 15 oz
Just had another cute little baby and feeling great!!
Look how purple her face is next to her arm. So sad.
We called the kids and told them they had a new little sister (we kept the sex of the baby a secret from everyone this pregnancy) and had them come up to the hospital to see her. They got there just in time to watch her get her first bath.
All clean!
Big sister Emily holding Maya. Don't be worried about her purple/bluish complexion. She was breathing just bruised.
Joshua loving his baby sister and giving her kisses.
Allie excited to have another sister!
Another bruised face picture. Still might cute, though!

MAY 5
Daddy getting his snuggle time in.
All ready to go home.

0 comments: