Saturday, March 5, 2011

Grandpa Winfield's Funeral

On Sunday February 27, 2011 my Grandpa Winfield passed away. Just a few days shy of his 90th birthday. My kids haven't really had anyone really close to us pass away so I didn't know how they were going to handle hearing the news. After I got the call from my mom I went down to tell Emily and Allie. When I was done telling them Allie looked up at me and said "That's okay! We will see him again when he gets his bones back." Love that little 3 year old and her sweet understanding of resurrection and the plan of salvation.  The next day at lunch Allie asked "Does Great Grandpa have his bones back yet?" I said no and that it would be a long time before that happened. Emily then pipes up and said "Yeah, Allie, it is going to be a long time. Like 10 months or more." LOVE IT!

Today we were going to have a big birthday party for my grandpa but instead we had a funeral for him and reflected on his life.

The funeral services were great. My mom and uncles did a great job talking about my grandpa and the life and example he lead. There were many moments of tears and laughter.

Grandpa was a HUGE BYU fan. He had all the BYU football games recorded. So at his grave all the great-grandkids were given blue and white balloons (some had a big Y on them) and they all released them into the sky.
Grandpa, you are a wonderful man. You are a great example.  You will be missed.

1 comments:

Nichole said...

Sorry about your grandpa. Love the comments the kids made. How's baby #4 doing?